Sunday 6 March 2011

What's the "Calçotada" in Catalonia?

Here, in Catalonia we have a tradition from the southern land. It consists in eat (so strange, from catalans ;P). 

That's a festivity which consists in meet a big group of people (like the village, or the group of friends...) and cook calçots (a variety of green onion) in a bonfire. It can be made in a field, to be more traditional, but all people make it in public places or restaurants, and also our family are going to do one on the terrace. 
There is a typical sauce of Calçot, made with garlics, almonds, hazelnuts, tomatoes, oil, red pepper and toast bread... It's an explosive combination which is delicious!
I assure you that it's a good experience if you never eat it, and remember that it becames a tradition, which says that it has to be delicious!

I waited for this since last year, because the calçots are a variety which can be gather only in february-march, now I'm going to help to my parents to make the fire, because today I won't leave the table after five o'clock!

But remember, if you eat it, don't eat so much, because you won't sleep! They are onions, and the smell isn't pleasant, then be carefull if you want to kiss somebody!

3 comments:

Miquel said...

Aleix your idea of talk about the "calçotada" is a very good one. I love these meals, "calçots" are the best variety of onions that I ever have eaten. I think you are right when you say that it have to be delicious, if someone do a "calçotada" and don't like it, it is because he has done very bad.

Melissa said...

Aleix I love your post, because "calçots" is my favorite food. One day I want to contest in a competition of eating calçots, I think that I will win, because I eat very fast. This year I eat a lot of calçots with my best friend but how you said, then I must clean my teeth, because calçots smell isn't pleasant.

AleixS said...

I'm absolutely delighted to know that you also enjoy this tradition!
Now I'm thirsty of calçots again! (ops, It's so bad to eat only a time on the year... but it's the treat of doing this delicious meal!)